Founded as a mission of Christ Church Cathedral in 1868, St. Peter’s became a parish in 1872. In 1893, the parish moved to the corner of Lindell Blvd. and Spring Ave., flourishing at that location for many years before moving to the current location in 1949. Remnants of the first church reside with us today, including the brass altar cross and candlesticks, the white marble altar and baptismal font, the processional cross and cornerstone.
St. Peter’s sits on a five acre lot with woods on two boundaries. The Nave seats 350 to 400 worshipers. The Altar, Baptismal Font, communion silver and the altar flower vases were all brought from the original church. The cornerstone was also moved and placed in the new church garden. Linking the past with the future was important to the building of the new church.
In 1957, the need for additional Sunday School space was apparent and so the Education Wing and Little Building were added. Twelve classrooms, a nursery, and offices were built in keeping with the Georgian colonial design. Another beautiful addition was the Laird Garden, built in memory of St. Peter’s longest term rector, William H. Laird, and the one who inspired the move to our present location. Adjacent to this garden is our Columbarium which was constructed in 1992 in response to a need for interment on the parish grounds. It is one of many in the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri and throughout the United States providing a final resting place that is serene, dignified, secure and accessible. It is a truly beautiful and peaceful place to sit and reflect.
From 1996 to 1998, St. Peter’s saw the completion of additional space needed, including Grace Chapel which is located on the upper floor of the west wing. Accessible during extended hours, Grace Chapel provides a space for services and private meditation. Grace Chapel’s stained glass windows are mouth blown, antique stained glass. They were created by Brother Steve Erspamer and Emil Frei Associates, Inc., Artists and Craftsmen in St. Louis. Everyone is welcome to visit Grace Chapel and to spend some time in quiet prayer.
During the summer and early fall of 2001, the interior of the church building was restored and construction of a new Chancel Organ began. The organ was built by N.P. Mander, Ltd. of London. This instrument is a mechanical action (tracker) organ of 44 stops comprising four divisions, and contains 57 ranks of pipes. It is housed in chambers and cases on either side of the Choir. A gift to the parish, the organ is used in corporate worship and for organ recitals.